Saturday 5 September 2015

Saturday Scratch #50 - Dennis Alcapone

Saturday Scratch, an occasional series that shines a light on a selection with a Lee 'Scratch' Perry connection.

Mrs S asked me to give her a hand over at the allotment the other evening. This only ever happens if she's really up against it - I'm sure that I'm far more of a hindrance than a help. I did my best to follow instructions though, but for my troubles I got bitten by bugs on my arm, elbow and side of the face. As you can see, my arm subsequently blew up into a rather alarming shape. I'm just not cut out for this outdoor lark!


In spite of being munched on various parts of my body, unlike Dennis Alcapone, I was untroubled by back biters. On this beautifully crackly rip of his 1972 single, Alcapone DJ's over Lee Perry's 'People Funny Boy' rhythm, with the additional accompaniment of Ron Wilson on trombone.

3 comments:

C said...

Ooh, that looks nasty - I hope it's gone down by now.
I think those biters must be like wine connoisseurs; I presume you must have a good bouquet and be crisp and dry with a medium body... they don't just go for any cheap old plonk.

Anonymous said...

Put something on that, sir! At least it gives you a good excuse to keep away from the allotment. I can empathize - I was stung in the face by a wasp the other day - we seem to have a plague of the buggers here.

Brian said...

That arm looks like Popeye after he eats his spinach. Another nice selection for this enjoyable series.

Greatest Hits